AROUND THE WEB | VOL. II

The Big C. It’s quite difficult to grasp the meaning of this word all at once. It ranges from the material things up to the state of our lives. As a new year entered, it became the talk of the town. Though it may be a little step, I started to learn a thing or two about contentment.

Reading Hannah Brencher’s experience on her target obsession made me nod my head in agreement (especially on the part of wanting all those pretty stuff but never getting around to using some of them). Last month, I scanned my room for evidences of excess. I need not look far, with just a tilt of my head the pile of unread books on the shelf presented themselves.
 
Blame it on my poor self-control, lack of good buying habits, or the low-priced second hand books that I can’t let go of. The moment I started earning money was also the day that my book hoarding began. I have read some of them for the past months, but the problem is that I buy faster more than I can read. Slowly, they started piling up and the number didn’t go down to 50 plus. I would always joke that this is the reason why I’m broke.


On another corner of the room was a large plastic container filled with notebooks, papers, scrapbooking materials and other artsy fartsy shenanigans that I haven’t used yet. There were time that I feel that I don’t have anything to use, but put them together and I have more than what my two hands can deal with.


Consume less. Create more.

I’ve been hearing (or reading rather) this phrase form my favorite creatives and at this point I couldn’t agree more. The world can make us feel like we don’t have enough, but in fact we do. We’re always driven to get more and more in our hands, without realizing that what we already have is already sufficient for our needs (sometimes a bit more). 

For the next months, I’ve vowed to refrain from buying any books, notebooks, or art materials, and instead make full use of what I have. Posting this here as a reminder to myself, at the same time it’s a chance to meet others who might want to go through the same challenge. It doesn’t seem too intimidating if going to do it together. 

Here’s a few more words from my favorite blogs to throw encouragement in your way:

No comments